Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Shitbit....I mean FitBit


Well well well.  It's been a few weeks since you have heard from me.  I know that you have just been sitting there hitting refresh waiting for something new to pop up.  Well, you sob's are in luck.  I stewed on it for a while and just couldn't help myself.

It all started the other day when I for some reason caught somebody throwing away a Micky D's bag away in the trash while forcefully stuffing there face with the last fries they had, finishing it off with a gulp of there soda.  None of this was out of the norm by any means but then I caught a glance as they looked at there wrist, checking that sweet shitbit device looking ever so elegant on there wrist.  This got me thinking about a few things.

1- Do those damn things even work?
2- Sure seems to be going about it a little backwards.

Let's get into it.  First off I'm not here to say that these Fitbits don't have there merit.  They have caught on rather well, don't look horrible, and do seem to get people moving to some degree.  So, I can't say that's not great.  What I am here to say are a few other things.  After looking in and doing hours on hours of research on the subject, guess what I found.  Well, you could have been getting better results with that new fangled smart phone that you already have, than shelling out the loot for that contraption you have on your wrist.  University Of Pennsylvania did a study on 14 different phones/apps that track the same thing as the pretty little thing you shelled the loot out for.  Guess what, your smart phone actually does a better job.  Studies showed a 22 % variance in the range and step counts on your Fitbit, where there was only 6% on your phone.  Now this study was basically just steps and walking, so it doesn't get into the fact that I'm sure the Fitbit would be easier for more intense working out.  I'm sure if the numbers were ran on what these get used for the most though, it's going to come back mostly for general activity.



This also got me to thinking about what these are really used for.  Generally people wear these to see how many steps or cal they burned while moving through the day to justify their shitty diet.  I've got a news flash for you.  If you think that getting a few extra steps in each day, while not eating better, is going to make any kind of measurable difference you are sadly mistaken.  If it sparks you to get active -- awesome.. but just use your damn phone.  Let's stop looking at this as rocket science.  Eat better and get physical activity in every day.  That's it.  That's what it takes.  If you need something to keep you accountable, find someone, a person for gods sake.  This whole world has started to rely on the techy shit way to much.  Find yourself somebody that will hold you accountable.  Shit better yet find somebody to help you with being accountable, working out, and what goes in your mouth.  That's the kinda shit that makes changes, real changes.

I'll close it out with this.  I do believe the idea is good.  That it gets people actively thinking about moving. Just save your money and use that fancy phone of yours.
But, I believe most that buy these things are wanting to get moving to loose a few lbs, not just because they feel like they don't move enough and are happy with there current body image. Studies show that 1/3 of these people will stop wearing this devise completely in the next 6 months, and that number goes well higher after that.   To make real change, the change you really want to see, it's going to take a bit more than focusing on how many steps you took that day.  It's a step in the right direction, but far from where you need to be going.  Now, this may sound rough, but I'd be more inclined to track what and how much of what was in your hand when that Fitbit got close to your mouth. And I'm out.



No comments:

Post a Comment